University of Utah students may be allowed to select for graduate credit certain graduate-level courses (5000 level or above) taken while enrolled as an undergraduate student. Such graduate credit is limited to six semester hours or two courses. Credit used to earn the undergraduate degree may not be counted toward a graduate degree.

Students are encouraged to seek advance approval of the dean of The Graduate School on an Undergraduate Petition for Graduate Credit form available in the Registrar’s Office. However, if a student seeks retroactive graduate credit for courses taken as an undergraduate, permission may be granted only if a grade of B or better was earned in the specified courses and if the courses were taken no more than three years prior to the petition.

Graduate courses taken as an undergraduate may be used to waive degree or certificate requirements or prerequisite requirements, but would not reduce the number of credits required unless the petition for graduate credit was granted.